background

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The GFree Diet

So I've been reading... and reading... and reading... I had started reading The Schwarzbein Program. It is a very good read. I just loved it. However at the same time I started The GFree Diet by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. I was hooked.

Can I just say, I had no clue!!! I knew gluten was in all baked/starchy/processed food but who knew it was in LIPSTICK!!! Oh, my word! And who knew that it was in hair care and condiments! And who knew that I may have to not have two sets of utensils in my kitchen. Can I get a HOLY BUCKETS! And who knew that there are (something like) 268 different symptoms (or sometimes none) for Celiac disease? Talk about overwhelming!! I don't think I want to be gluten sensitive anymore... lol

My thinking is that for the most part, I would rather just not eat things with gluten rather than trying to find substitutions where possible. For example, rather than buying gluten free bread I'd rather just not eat bread. I am not sure how it is going to work for everything, like when I need bread crumbs for a binding (maybe use gluten free oats) or cakes for birthdays (can't live without birthday cake). In the last 2 to 2.5 weeks it has been going pretty good with this way of thinking.

A day in my life looks like this...

Breakfast: 2 organic cage free eggs and usually a fruit but otherwise I sometimes will saute up some veggies.

AM Snack: 2 ounces of turkey with 1 table spoon of cream cheese and a piece of fruit or some veggies.

Lunch: 4 ounces of chicken strips plus some veggies (like 2-5 cups) and a tablespoon or two of Annie's Naturals Organic Buttermilk dressing

PM Snack:
1/2 of a Serotonin Sundae

Supper: Shepherds Pie

PM Snack/Dessert:
Berries and whipping cream (no sugar)

There isn't any gluten in this but not because I have substituted a lot but because I'm eating good whole foods. I love it and I'm so satisfied at the end of the day.

No comments: