background

Monday, February 28, 2011

G-Free

When I was eating the NWW (Nutritional Weight and Wellness) way the first time. I felt good! No, I felt GREAT! I lost 30 pounds without even blinking. I just lost motivation and it was a difficult time in my life and I just couldn't keep up! I was frustrated but it was kind of the way too hard for me at the time. However, that time, my nutritionist had me on a mostly gluten free diet. I made note of this but because so much had changed I wasn't sure if it was the gluten or something else. I was hoping it was something else.

My first time with Cassie Weness she didn't have me on quite as strick of a diet. It was very realistic and I think over time I have totally switched to this way of life when I was thinking of it. I would say that was about 50% of the time. The other 50% I just didn't care. Mostly because I was in college and didn't have time to think about it. I did notice that the weight wasn't coming off. Which was a big thing for me. Truth be told it still is but now to a lesser degree. The big difference was the gluten.

So this time when I wanted to get back on the wagon, I started with first trying to get back into the swing of eating the weight and wellness way. It was so much easier this time because I only a few things I needed to tweak because I was still mostly doing it. Anyway, part of what I did with our family is I found food ideas that involved little if no gluten. I had a feeling that is what I was the key.

I think because I had this feeling when Cassie said to me, I think we need to take out gluten, I said... Ok. :) I also have switched my thinking from thinking in terms of losing weight to be healthy but rather being healthy and hope to lose weight. I belive in my heart of hearts, if the weight isn't coming off, something else is "wrong" and I need to find another place that my body is is broken.

So here's what I'm doing...
**The biggest thing that has helped me. I have made a weekly menu along with all the recipes I need and a shopping list. I hope to have 4 to 6 weeks of these and we can just rotate through. It also helps that I know what I'm eating. I don't have to go for something fast (and bad) in the same way because I have a stocked fridge and ideas.

**I pack my food. And I really want to find foods that are easy to take with me.

**I purge the bad. I don't even try to use stuff up or anything because I feel that you can't feel the effects and can't get rid of the cravings unless you get rid of it all. And if I start with the momentum of wanting to change, it will only take me so far. Eventually I'll need to rely on not having the cravings to pull me through the had times.

**I READ LABLES!!! I have been doing that for a while now but I have found that I have to KEEP DOING IT!!! I don't read the front of the box because I don't believe the hype. I'm too cynical for that! The biggest frustration I have is that I don't know all the names of all the hidden items. What I have chose to do, for the most part, is only buy things with ingredients that I know and the fewer the better.

**I eat as many whole foods as possible. I like to have my food as close to how they grow as possible. And when I do this, I am just gluten free by default.

**I take supplements to aid in healing.

**I drink a lot of water. I am trying to drink half my weight in ounces. I found a cute cup and will keep refilling it all day long. I have tried to drink tea if I need to have something else.

I have given up some big habits in the last couple weeks that I didn't think I could. I had a Caribou a day habit as well as drinking a lot of soda. I also ate a lot of sweets. I have done almost a 180 in my life and I feel a lot better!

No comments: