background

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Newton

I think Newton was on to something with this whole law of motion thing. I always learned it as "a body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest." I think this comes to exercise too.

I have been struggling with getting moving. Although it isn't much, I walked a half mile yesterday. I used to be able to walk forever without any problems. Then I got sedentary (my body at rest) now I don't want to walk anywhere (it's staying at rest).

I think most people have an issue to staying motivated to work out. There are those lucky ones who like to do it and have no trouble staying motivated. Or maybe it is just a habit. However, most people I know have a really good streak then a long streak of not so good at working out. It seems like as long as they stay in motion they're good to go but once they stop moving their body tends to stay at rest.

I have my iPad. I have a gym membership. I have sneakers. I have resistance bands. I have an iPod. I have a balance ball. I have kind of cute clothes.

I have everything I need to workout except motivation. What do you do to stay motivated? I know one thing for sure, I have to keep it forefront in my mind or I forget to do it if I put it on the back burner or if my life gets busy. I think I might try a trainer because then I have an appointment with someone. Which will get me to the gym because I hate letting people down.

To keep exercise forefront, I have started listening to the Get-Fit Guy Quick and Dirty Tips podcast. Most of the stuff is beyond what I'm able to do right now, but it gets me excited and wanting to try these new things out.

Let me know what you do... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about inertia. I, too, have good streaks and bad streaks when it comes to exercise. What helps me is having a specific, relatively short-term goal. It feels more doable if it is short-term. Then I can set a new goal.

You are doing great!