background

Monday, March 28, 2011

Ruby My Way


I heard about Ruby probably 3 years ago. I think I chose to not watch because of how close to home it it. I didn't want to deal. Well, I'm dealing now and for some reason I heard of her again, maybe a promo on YouTube or something. I decided it was time to watch.

I'm not as big as Ruby but I'm not super far off. A lot of her problems are similar to my own. Man, I HATE HATE HATE being this size. It is so humiliating, and Ruby has stated the same. She doesn't fit anywhere and breaks everything she sits on. I know the pain. :( But also like her, I'm doing something about it.

I do have some problems with this show (at least the first season) and don't think I won't tell you! hehe

First and foremost, I think talking about food as an a addiction is not necessarily a good idea. I don't the medical world will agree with me, but what I think is missing is the quality of the food. Making it the person's fault but not the food. I have heard before that "we" need to "behave" not make the food behave. That is all find and good as long as the food is good.

Here's the thing, if we are not getting the right foods and we are not feeding our body right, then in order to survive our body desperately keeps the weight so it doesn't die. It wants to survive.

So when we eat these foods that are fake foods we can't help but always be searching for something else. I believe that if she were to eat good balanced foods we will be able to eat the right amount of food with no cravings.

Another thing about the prepackaged foods is that Ruby can't eat if her food isn't around. She needs to be able to have choices outside her meal plan if the meals are not around. Or if she is unable to pack them when she is on vacation, etc.

Secondly, I don't like her mental health professional. I think he's WRONG. Plain and simple. haha! I know, who do I think I am!?! lol I think that he doesn't want her to cook is totally wrong. She needs to learn this stuff. She needs to learn to enjoy and enjoy eating healthy foods. And food she likes. With prepackaged meals, she is not learning anything she is just following someone else plan. Those other folks are not going to be around forever and she will have to do it on her own. I think it's important to do that on her own with guidance.

Then her friend... OH MY WORD! I think they are missing a big opportunity for themselves. Ruby's friends are her life and they really love her. I think what they can do for her, which they do a little, is to learn to eat better and feel better. I think the fact that they go to fast food or eat sweets is not fair to her. I think she needs more support. I think they do what they can but they can take an honest look at them selves and really help her out. However, I think her cravings would be lessened if her food was better.

The thing I like best about Ruby, she's a winner! She conquers her fears and does things she doesn't think she can do. For that, I keep watching. I'll tell you more when I'm done with season 1 or as the mood strikes. :)

No comments: